VNA Council Minutes - July 24, 2019

VNA Council Meeting Minutes

July 24, 2019

Call to Order

Approval of Minutes

Announcements

  • Special thanks to HotelRED for making the meeting room available for our use this evening.

  • As a sign of our appreciation, please support The Wise restaurant at HotelRED this week (July 21-26) during Restaurant Week.

  • Communications

o   A reminder that our neighborhood web site is www.vilasneighborhood.com

o   Email address for the VNA: vnapresident@gmail.com

o   The Vilas Ink newsletters are now being posted on the web site at https://www..vilasneighborhood.com/vilasink

New Business

1.      Home History Project with DMNA  – Doug Carlson

o   There is a meeting scheduled for October. An update will be in the Vilas Ink newsletter.

Existing Business 

2.      Treasurer’s report –Pat Scheckel

o   There is $1522 in account; there are outstanding invoices for Vilas Ink

3.      Social report - Lee Lazar

o   We have not had any offers to host a VNA tailgate this year. If no one steps forward by the next meeting, we will have to cancel the tailgate this year.

4.     Nominating Committee –Lee Lazar

o   It is time to put this committee together. Lee is looking for people to help. Those who volunteer should be prepared to recruit potential members for the council.

o   Elections will take place in November and there are 4 seats up for election:

o   Craig Stanley

o   Karie Krantz

o   Chris Kelly

o   Vacant spot

5.      VNA Directory & Block Captains – Roz Woodward & Sarah Bahauddin

o   No update

6.      Vilas Ink newsletter – Pat Scheckel

o   Submissions for the fall issue are due 8/20

o   Fall issue is expected to be out mid-September

7.      Joint Campus Area Committee (JCAC) report - Doug Carlson

o   No update; next meeting is in August 

8.      VNA Zoning Committee report.  – Wendy Fearnside

o   This committee has met twice so far

o   They have spent time educating themselves and getting organized; also brainstorming ideas for Alder Evers’ forums

o   Planning on meeting with city planning and zoning to learn more

9.      Vilas retail news and updates

o   Marie’s Soul Food is open

o   Sequoia is open

o   1722 Monroe street level will house Creando after school program, Garth’s Brew House (liquor license was approved), and possibly Monroe St Arts Center.

10.  Vilas Park Master Planning – Wendy Fearnside

o   Julia Kerr has volunteered to join the planning group

o   They are getting into the public input phase – collecting ideas and data

o   Planning a series of focus groups

o   There are 4 scheduled meetings for the Resident Resource Group, which our Vilas committee is participating in

o   There is an event with the Boys & Girls Club of Madison on August 17th where the kids will have an opportunity to help develop the plan

11.   Edgewood Liaison committee report – (Liaisons - Jon Standridge and Sarah Bahauddin)

o   Liaison meeting report – no update; next meeting is 8/13

o   EHS athletic field

o   EHS Zoning Appeal was denied by the City's Zoning Appeals Board

o   Collaborative Working Group (EHS, DMNA, VNA) - VNA reps:  Sarah, Jon, Chris, Craig

o   CWG’s work has been suspended.  It is unclear when, or if, this work will resume

Other Business

o   Several members of the VNA Council are unable to attend the August meeting scheduled for 8/28.

o   Council will wait until 8/8 to decide if the August meeting will take place. This decision will be communicated via email.

Adjourn

VNA July Meeting Agenda - July 24, 2019

The July meeting of the VNA shall be held on Wednesday, July 24th, at 7:00 pm at HotelRED.

Call to Order

Approval of Minutes

Announcements

·         Special thanks to HotelRED for making the meeting room available for our use this evening.

·         Communications.

o    A reminder that our neighborhood web site is at www.vilasneighborhood.com.

o    Email address for the VNA – vnapresident@gmail.com

o    The Vilas Ink newsletters are now being posted on the web site at https://www.vilasneighborhood.com/vilasink

 

New Business

 

1.     Home History Project, with DMNA.  – Doug Carlson

 

 

Existing Business

2.     Treasurer’s report – Pat Scheckel

3.     Social report - Lee Lazar

4.     Nominating Committee – Lee Lazar

·         Update on assembling committee for VNA elections

5.     VNA Directory & Block Captains – Roz Woodward & Sarah Bahauddin

6.     Vilas Ink newsletter – Pat Scheckel

7.     Joint Campus Area Committee (JCAC) report – Liaison - Doug Carlson

8.     VNA Zoning Committee report.  – Lea Jacobs

9.     Vilas retail news and updates

10.  Vilas Park Master Planning – Wendy Fearnside

·         Julia Kerr has also volunteered to join the planning group.

11.  Edgewood Liaison committee report – (Liaisons - Jon Standridge and Sarah Bahauddin)

·         Liaison meeting report – Sarah, Jon

·         EHS athletic field.

o EHS Zoning Appeal was denied by the City's Zoning Appeals Board.

·         Collaborative Working Group (EHS, DMNA, VNA)  (VNA reps:  Sarah, Jon, Chris, Craig)

o CWG’s work has been suspended.  It is unclear when, or if, this work will resume.

Other Business

 

-       VNA August meeting logistics

 

Adjourn

VNA Council Minutes - June 26, 2019

VNA Council Meeting Minutes  

Wednesday, June 26, 2019

7:30 PM – HotelRED

Council Members attending:

Chris Kelly (President)

Craig Stanley (Past President)

Pat Scheckel – (Treasurer)

Ben Biltz

Sarah Bahauddin

Lea Jacobs

Approval of Minutes (Ben 1st, Pat 2nd) motion carried

Announcements Communication

New Business

Vilas Park Master Planning (Chris)

·       1st community meeting earlier in evening at the zoo. 

·       URL with ongoing updates online

·       https://www.cityofmadison.com/parks/projects/vilas-henry-park-master-plan

·       Council nominated Wendy Fearnside as reporting rep for VNA

·       Any ideas for the park, suggestions, questions, or feedback can be sent to the project team at VilasMasterPlan@cityofmadison.com

Home History Project, with DMNA.  – Doug Carlson not present

·       Deferred to July, no report

Ald. Evers - outline of D13 (Tag)

  • Outlined which committees he is on with high level update

        • Public Works committee

        • Education Committee

        • Executive Committee

  • Outlined “District 13 Alliance Meeting” concept (thoughts)

o   Concept to have meetings 4 times a year, start in fall 2019, goal to facilitate better relations and understanding of issues in district and neighborhoods

o   Proactive review issues of district and also review of larger issues facing city

o   Fall 2019 first meeting (Date TBD)

o   Have rep from each neighborhood (VNA to rep to send to Ald. Evers)

o   Rep to be discussed at future meeting (Lea Volunteered to represent) 

Old Business

Treasurer’s report – (Pat)

  • ~$1500 in account prior to party

  • ~$1100 in account after party, in good shape

Social report (report by Pat, Lee Lazar, social chair not present)

  • successful VNA Summer Block Party, approx 60 attends, threat of storms kept numbers down

Nominating Committee – Lee Lazar –

  • No report, deferred

VNA Directory & Block Captains – Roz Woodward,

  • deferred but Sarah offer to help with coordination

Status of Vilas Ink newsletter – Pat Scheckel,

  • Newsletter submitted to printer June 3rd, expect to mailed this week

Joint Campus Area Committee (JCAC) report

  • Doug Carlson not present, Pat reported, Nail’s tail status (football status to be removed and put in storage

VNA Zoning Committee report.  – Lea Jacobs reporting (committee members, Leah, Paul Cuta, Wendy and Ben)

  • Robust discussion regarding direction of numerous issues and how to address issues and education going forward.

  • Discussion on Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU). Committee to learn more on issue

  • Paul Cuta outlined meeting with Alder Evers, discussed getting future development issues outlined future of city and interrelation of plans (comp, zoning, neighborhood plans)

  • Committee meeting July 1st and will brainstorm ideas for future discussion and bring back to council

Edgewood Liaison committee report – (Liaisons - Jon Standridge and Sarah Bahauddin) Sarah reported:

  • Nothing much to report

  • Edgewood college updating signs, signs all internal on campus

EHS athletic field (Chris updated Council)

  • EHS has filed an appeal with the Zoning Board of Appeals.  The date of the hearing is undetermined but will likely occur in July.  EHS is seeking clarity on their rights to hold athletic competitions on their athletic field.  The appeal is focused solely on usage, not on lights or sound.

  • Collaborative Working Group, CWG  (EHS, DMNA, VNA)  (VNA reps:  Sarah, Jon, Chris, Craig) –

  • Group CWG on hold for now,

  • Meeting material can be found online through link

  • https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AD0LWCiJvanyk8A&id=597512B1BC4A50E1%21226737&cid=597512B1BC4A50E1

  • EHS is revising their proposal and said they will re-engage the CWG when it is ready to review.

Other Business

o   BEN BILTZ is formally on the Zoning committee

 

Motion to Adjourn was motion and seconded

VNA June Meeting Agenda - June 26, 2019

Wednesday, 7:30pm, at HotelRED.

***Note the 7:30 start time.  Vilas Park Master Planning meeting is being held at Vilas Park shelter from 6-7:30.

 

Call to Order

Approval of Minutes

Announcements

·         Special thanks to HotelRED for making the meeting room available for our use this evening.

·         Communications.

o    A reminder that our neighborhood web site is at www.vilasneighborhood.com.

o    Email address for the VNA – vnapresident@gmail.com

o    The Vilas Ink newsletters are now being posted on the web site at https://www.vilasneighborhood.com/vilasink

 

New Business

 

1.     Vilas Park Master Planning meeting debrief

2.     Selecting a VNA rep to send to Ald. Evers’ D13 Alliance meetings.

3.     Home History Project, with DMNA.  – Doug Carlson

 

 Existing Business

4.     Treasurer’s report – Pat Scheckel

5.     Social report - Lee Lazar

·         Thanks for another successful VNA Summer Block Party!

6.     Nominating Committee – Lee Lazar

·         Assembly of committee for VNA elections

7.     VNA Directory & Block Captains – Roz Woodward

·         Assistance for Roz

8.     Status of Vilas Ink newsletter – Pat Scheckel

9.     Joint Campus Area Committee (JCAC) report – Liaison - Doug Carlson

10.  VNA Zoning Committee report.  – Lea Jacobs

·         Vilas development updates

·         Vilas retail updates

11.  Edgewood Liaison committee report – (Liaisons - Jon Standridge and Sarah Bahauddin)

·         Liaison meeting report – Sarah, Jon

·         EHS athletic field.

o EHS has filed an appeal with the Zoning Board of Appeals.  The date of the hearing is undetermined but will likely occur in July.  EHS is seeking clarity on their rights to hold athletic competitions on their athletic field.  The appeal is focused solely on usage, not on lights or sound.

·         Collaborative Working Group (Sarah, Jon, Chris, Craig) – overview, updates, discussion

o The CWG has suspended its work.  Based on the feedback and discussion that has occurred so far, EHS is revising their proposal and said they will re-engage the CWG when it is ready to review.

o Please note that the CWG’s work is publicly available for review here:  https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AD0LWCiJvanyk8A&id=597512B1BC4A50E1%21226737&cid=597512B1BC4A50E1

 

Other Business

Adjourn

VNA Council Minutes - May 22, 2019

May 22, 2019

VNA Council Meeting Minutes

 

The June VNA Council meeting will be held at HotelRED on Wednesday, June 26th at 7pm.

 

Call to Order

Approval of Minutes

Announcements

·       Special thanks to HotelRED for making the meeting room available for our use this evening.

·       Communications

o   A reminder that our neighborhood website can be found at www.vilasneighborhood.com

o   Email address for the VNA – vnapresident@gmail.com

o   The Vilas Ink newsletters are now being posted on the website at https://www.vilasneighborhood.com/vilasink

New Business 

1.     Leaves/Gutters Project – Grace Ruetten

o   Grace is an Edgewood College graduate student working on a project to free our neighborhood streets (drains and gutters) from leaves before large rain events to keep leaves out of our lakes

o   You can sign up to receive a text or email alert before rain events (between Oct 1st and Nov 30th)

o   She is looking for a volunteer on each Vilas street/block to sign up for these alerts and then clear the drains and gutters before the rain to keep leaves out of our lakes

o   If you are interested in helping, please call Grace at 608.459-0092

o   You can find more information at www.ripple-effects.com

Existing Business

2.     Treasurer’s report – Pat Scheckel

o   We have $1472 in our account

o   There is $400 budgeted for the upcoming summer block party

3.     Social report - Lee Lazar

o   Block Party – Saturday 6/15 from 4-9:30pm on the 1900 block of Jefferson St.

o   Party is BYO…grills will be available. Everyone is encouraged to bring a dessert, side or snack to share

o   If you can help supply tables, chairs, coolers, and/or yard games, please contact Pat at pschecke@yahoo.com

o   We are still looking for a host for our annual Badger football tailgate. Please contact Lee Lazar (llazar@associated.cc) if you are interested

4.     VNA Directory & Block Captains – Roz Woodward

o   Has welcome packets for new neighbors

o   Still looking for a few block captains – check the website for details

o   Will use the block captains to distribute flyers for the summer block party

5.     Status of Vilas Ink newsletter – Pat Scheckel

o   The summer issue has more than enough content and will be coming out soon

o   The deadline for content for the fall issue will be the end of August

6.     Web site status – Chris Kelly

o   Bios needed from council members:  Ben

7.     Joint Campus Area Committee (JCAC) report – Liaison - Doug Carlson

o   No update

8.     VNA Zoning Committee – Lea Jacobs

o   Reviewed Lea’s final charge document

o   Council voted unanimously to establish VNA Zoning Committee as a new standing committee under the VNA Charter

o   Council voted unanimously to appoint Lea Jacobs as Chair.  Discussion of additional members – Paul, Wendy and Ben

9.     Edgewood Liaison committee report – (Liaisons - Jon Standridge and Sarah Bahauddin)

o   Collaborative Working Group (Sarah, Jon, Chris, Craig) – overview, updates, discussion

o   These meetings are being run by a 3rd party facilitator. On a scale of 1-10 the group believes they are at a 5 as far as being able to reach an agreement. They are 6 weeks into the agreed upon 12 week process.

o   There is a trust issue that runs both ways, especially with the DMNA

o   Meanwhile, EHS is taking legal steps to appeal their position/rights regarding athletic field usage (this is separate from the CWG)

o   Please note that the CWG’s work is publicly available for review here:  https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AD0LWCiJvanyk8A&id=597512B1BC4A50E1%21226737&cid=597512B1BC4A50E1

10.  Vilas retail updates

o   1403 Regent Street Updates.  Liquor license was approved by the Common Council for the sale of beer, cider, and wine only.  No hard liquor.  Special thanks to Ald. Tag Evers and VNA Council representative Ben Biltz for their work on this following our April meeting.

o   Garth’s - pending application for a class B license for beer and wine only.  1722 Monroe Street (DMNA)

o   This will be a craft beer bar; casual neighborhood establishment; dog friendly; no food (although you can bring food in)

11.   Development update

o   Lea Jacobs voiced her concern over saturation of retail spaces with new development (retail on street level with housing above) – currently many vacant spaces on Monroe Street

o   There is a push for greater density and height along city corridors to allow a successful public transportation system; zoning does not currently allow townhouses in the city of Madison

o   HotelRED expansion still on hold

o   There is a new hotel development project (176 rooms, 293 parking spaces) across the bike path by the Kohl Center (behind 780 Regent St)

Other Business

12.  Vacancy –  Per Article 5, Section 8 of the VNA Bylaws, the Nominating Chair may present a replacement – with concurrence from at least 5 remaining VNA council reps - to hold the seat for a few months, through the end of Wes’ term this fall. 

o   The Council discussed whether to fill this position or leave it vacant until elections in November.  It was agreed that this spot will remain vacant until the next VNA council elections.

Adjourn

VNA May Meeting Agenda - May 22, 2019

Wednesday, May 22nd, 7pm. HotelRED.

Call to Order

Approval of Minutes

Announcements

·         Special thanks to HotelRED for making the meeting room available for our use this evening.

·         Communications.

o    A reminder that our neighborhood web site is at www.vilasneighborhood.com.

o    Email address for the VNA – vnapresident@gmail.com

o    The Vilas Ink newsletters are now being posted on the web site at https://www.vilasneighborhood.com/vilasink

 

New Business

 1.     Leaves/Gutters Project intro (tentative) – Grace Ruetten

 

 Existing Business

2.     Treasurer’s report – Pat Scheckel

3.     Social report - Lee Lazar

·         Block Party updates

4.     VNA Directory & Block Captains – Roz Woodward

5.     Status of Vilas Ink newsletter – Pat Scheckel

·         Update on summer 2019 issue

6.     Web site status – Chris Kelly

·         Bios needed from council members:  Ben

7.     Joint Campus Area Committee (JCAC) report – Liaison - Doug Carlson

8.     VNA Zoning Committee.  – Lea Jacobs

·         Discussion of Lea’s final charge document

·         Vote to establish VNA Zoning Committee as a new standing committee under the VNA Charter

·         Vote to appoint Lea Jacobs as Chair.  Discussion of additional members.

9.     Edgewood Liaison committee report – (Liaisons - Jon Standridge and Sarah Bahauddin)

·         Collaborative Working Group (Sarah, Jon, Chris, Craig) – overview, updates, discussion

·         Please note that the CWG’s work is publicly available for review here:  https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AD0LWCiJvanyk8A&id=597512B1BC4A50E1%21226737&cid=597512B1BC4A50E1

10.  Vilas retail updates

·         1403 Regent Street Updates.  Liquor license was approved by the Common Council for the sale of beer, cider, and wine only.  No hard liquor.  Special thanks to Ald. Tag Evers and Ben Biltz for their work on this following our April meeting.

·         Garth’s.  Pending application for a class B license for beer and wine only.  1722 Monroe St.  (DMNA)

11.  Development update.

·         Any other development news?

 

Other Business

 12.  Vacancy –  Per Article 5, Section 8 of the VNA Bylaws, the Nominating Chair may present a replacement – with concurrence from at least 5 remaining VNA council reps - to hold the seat for a few months, through the end of Wes’ term this fall.  The Council will discuss at April meeting whether to fill this position or leave it vacant until elections in November.  If the Council opts to fill it, the vote may occur at this meeting.

 Adjourn

VNA Council Minutes - April 24, 2019

VNA Meeting

April 24, 2019

HotelRed

Call to Order

Approval of Minutes 

Announcements

  • Special thanks to HotelRED for making the meeting room, and A/V equipment, available for our use this evening.

  • Communications.

  • A reminder that our neighborhood web site is at www.vilasneighborhood.com. 

  • Email address for the VNA – vnapresident@gmail.com.  

  • The Vilas Ink newsletters are now being posted on the web site at https://www.vilasneighborhood.com/vilasink

New Business

1.     MPD “Good Neighbor” Program presentation.  (Officer Marzullo, Madison Police Department).  More info:  http://www.cityofmadison.com/police/community/good-neighbor-project/

·       From MPD:  "The Good Neighbor Project is the Madison Police Department's community safety program.  When we take the time to get to know our neighbors, we feel a stronger sense of community. It's comforting to know we have neighbors who are looking out for us and will help us. The police officers who live and work in our neighborhoods also care about our safety and well-being. When we get to know our neighborhood officers and work together with them to solve problems, we create an even larger social support network where everyone feels surrounded by people who care."

·       Officer Christopher Marzullo, cmarzullo@cityofmadison.com, 608-229-8200

·       Thank you to Rosalind Woodward for coordinating this evening’s Good Neighbor presentation.

·       They have a large trailer with a grill and amplified sound they can bring to events. We asked about availability for Saturday June 15th, our Vilas summer party. Lee will follow up on this.

·       Communities that share information with each other are more secure

·       If you have any problem, like regular speeding down a street, feel free to contact him

·      There’s a City of Madison website where you can enter your address if you’re going to be away. This will trigger a patrol past your house at least once a shift. https://www.cityofmadison.com/police/forms/vacationWatch.cfm

·      The Midtown Police District is 70K people. Allied Drive to Allen in Middleton. Both Memorial HS and West HS. On the east edge, West Washington is the boundary. https://www.cityofmadison.com/police/midtown/

·       Juveniles are driving around early in the morning when people are warming their cars to go to work. They are not hotwiring cars. They are taking cars that have keys in the ignition or have a spare key somewhere in the car.

·       Orchard/Mound/St. James Ct is seeing burglaries and thefts from cars and it’s always from cars that are unlocked. LOCK YOUR CAR DOORS! From Ring doorbell cameras, they have identified a suspect and now they’re trying to identify where that person is currently living.

·       The Vilas Park parking lot along Edgewood Ave has seen some minor issues, like teens hanging out when they should be home. Suggestion from Office Marzullo that Vilas Park master plan could potentially include motion lights in that area.

2.     New Alder for District 13.  

·       Potential for improved cross neighborhood dialogue 

3.     Neighborhood Association training proposal by Arbor Hills and Bay Creek. None of the VNA council members were familiar with the proposal, which came to Chris via email. Chris will ask Alder Evers about it.

Existing Business

4.     Treasurer’s report – Pat Scheckel 

·       $1372 in the bank

·       This is after we’ve paid the final $585 to Rachel Verbrick for the creation of the spring issue of the VilasInk newsletter

·       We should be on solid ground moving forward

5.     Social report - Lee Lazar

·       Summer launch party is Saturday June 15th on the 1900 block of Jefferson.

·       MARK YOUR CALENDARS!

·       Lee will get flyers together

·       Tuesday May 14th – beer tasting at Brasserie V. More details to come.

·       Still looking for a host for the football tailgate party in the fall. If you’d like to host, please let Lee know.

6.     VNA Directory & Block Captains – Roz Woodward 

·  Finalization of block captain roster – see https://www.vilasneighborhood.com/block-captains

·  Neighborhood directory project

7.     Status of Vilas Ink newsletter – Pat Scheckel

·       Update on transition of publishing for 2019

·       Deadline for contributions to the summer issue of the newsletter is May 20th

·       Thank you to Rachel Verbrick for keeping the newsletter running these past few years.

8.     Web site status – Chris Kelly

·       Bios needed from council members:  Ben, Craig

9.     Joint Campus Area Committee (JCAC) report – Liaison - Doug Carlson

·       Thank you to Doug for organizing the 6:00 p.m. presentation from the UW Athletic Department about the restoration/facelift of the fieldhouse and the creation of a south plaza.

10.  VNA Zoning committee concept discussion.  – Lea Jacobs

·       Discussion of Lea’s proposal

·       Charge a committee to form, educate themselves about what’s happening in the neighborhood.

·       Bring issues to the VNA Council as well as to the whole neighborhood

·       Make themselves aware of the zoning laws

·       Potentially work proactively to identify improvements we’d like to see

·       Lea will reach out to Greenbush and DMNA to see how they’re dealing with this.

·       Perhaps have city zoning officials come to the meeting and explain what can be done in certain parts of the neighborhood

·       Neighborhood plans should conform to the vision of the Comprehensive Plan

11.  Edgewood Liaison committee report – (Liaisons - Jon Standridge and Sarah Bahauddin) 

·       Collaborative Working Group (Sarah, Jon, Chris, Craig) – overview, updates, discussion

·       Purpose of the sessions: Finding a way forward for Edgewood High School and the community regarding the EHS athletic field that optimizes the interests of key stakeholders

·       Two meetings so far, 90 minutes each Tuesday, professionally facilitated. Up to 12 scheduled in total

·       7 DMNA, 4 VNA, 3 Edgewood represented

·      Notes are transcribed and put in public folders on the website: https://www.vilasneighborhood.com/news/2019/4/19/edgewood-collaborative-work-group-update-and-links

·       First two meetings have been foundational and they’ve yet to really dig into the details, but that should start with the next meeting.

12.  Monroe street retail updates 

  • Sequoia Ramen & Sushi

  • In the old Brocach space on Monroe

  • Chris Kelly was the only neighborhood attendee at the open house

  • Applying for a Class B combination alcohol license

  • Target is June 1st, but that could slip due to contractor issues

  • 1403 Regent St, at the end of Jefferson St, next to Sconnie’s Bar

  • Update from Fraser Gurd, who attended the ALRC meeting

  • At the last VNA meeting, the Council voted to recommend approval for a liquor license for the takeout food establishment, with the condition to hold their liquor portion to 10% of their overall revenue. The Alder forwarded this to the City.

  • However, the license was approved by the city ALRC with no limits on the percentage of alcohol by a vote of 4-3. There is concern this could become a liquor store. City attorney didn’t think it was the right tool and placed other restrictions on the sale of alcohol.

  • One difficulty might have been that the Alder position turned over the night before the meeting.

  • Frustrating for the neighbors and the Council that our guidance was disregarded. Discussion that in the future, we may not be able to take a nuanced position and maybe need to take a more black and white position.

  • All liquor licenses renew every year. If there are problems, they should be documented and formally communicated.

  • Ben Biltz will review the video of the ALRC meeting and will potentially send a letter to the city expressing our disappointment with the decision. 

13.  Development update.

  • 1630 Adams St – Roz Woodward  

  • They’ve started building. They’ll be placing a premade roof on top.

Other Business

14.  Vacancy – Per Article 5, Section 8 of the VNA Bylaws, the Nominating Chair may present a replacement – with concurrence from at least 5 remaining VNA council reps - to hold the seat for a few months, through the end of Wes’ term this fall.  The Council will discuss at April meeting whether to fill this position or leave it vacant until elections in November.  If the Council opts to fill it, the vote may occur at this meeting.

·       Brief discussion that with only six Council members present, we should wait until the next meeting in May.

·       We may leave the seat open until the full election in November, since it’s only six months away.

·       Discussion on creating an elections committee to run the November election. Lee Lazar is the nominating chair. If you are interested in helping with this committee, let him know.

Adjourn

VNA Council Minutes - March 19, 2019

3/19/19 VNA Council Meeting Minutes

 

Call to Order

Approval of Minutes 

Announcements

·      Vilas Park Master Plan process.  Per Kate Kane at Madison Parks, the City of Madison is finalizing its selection for a vendor to manage the Vilas Park Master Plan process set to occur this year.  The Parks Department is planning a robust public engagement process and is aiming for a public information meeting in April.  The timeline for the whole process should be finalized soon.  The City’s web site about the project is here:  http://www.cityofmadison.com/parks/projects/vilas-henry-park-master-plan. 

Communication

·      A reminder that our neighborhood web site is at www.vilasneighborhood.com. 

·      Email address for the VNA – vnapresident@gmail.com.  

New Business

1.    1548 Jefferson Street.  Craig and Kathy Mayer residence.  The VNA discussed via email and approved Ald. Arntsen to waive to the 30-day notice period for filing with the City for the needed variance.  The project needs a variance because it is very slightly bigger than the existing garage and exceeds the zoning guideline by 98 sq ft.  The Mayers are applying for a public hearing on May 6th.  From the Mayers:

·      "Our renovation includes the demolition of an old dilapidated garage and replacing it with a 24 x 24 new garage to match the house renovation.  Although this garage is within the maximum size for garages, it slightly exceeds the 10% rule for garage verses total lot size.  The lot is 4,800 sf and the proposed garage is 576 sf.  Our conditional use permit is for the additional 96 sf.  We are requesting the 30-day waiver in order to meet our contractors schedule." 

2.   Storage of VNA records – do any neighbors have any historical or archived VNA records to preserve?  Westmorland History Committee is looking to acquire a shared storage space at the Village on Park shopping center at 2300 S. Park Street. 

·      If anyone has any records, please let the board know so we can assess whether or not this makes sense.

3.   Zoo Issue (county/zoological society split)

·      $$ in endowment in question

·      sexual harassment charges indicated in today’s WSJ

4.   Liquor license application on door of previous Brocach (1843 Monroe St)

·      Sequoya Ramen & Sushi – presenting at April 17th ALRC meeting

5.    Sustainability Madison – city group looking into sustainability of neighborhoods, carbon neutral initiative, etc. *May be a good group to have come in and talk at one of our meetings.

6.   Good Neighbor officer will be presenting at our April meeting.

Existing Business

7.   Treasurer’s report – Pat Scheckel 

·      $1134 in account

8.   Vilas Ink newsletter – Pat Scheckel

·      Update on publishing for 2019 – newsletter coming soon. Last issue before Pat takes over.

9.   Social report - Lee Lazar 

·      Need permit to close Jefferson for summer block party

·      **Need a host for fall tailgate**

·      Planning a Tuesday beer tasting at Brasserie V for a fun neighborhood fundraising event…stay tuned.

10.   VNA Directory & Block Captains – Rosalind Woodward

  • 1.    Finalization of block captain roster – see https://www.vilasneighborhood.com/block-captains 

  • 2.   Neighborhood directory project – no update

11. Web site status

·      Bios needed from council members:  Sarah, Ben, Lea, Craig, Wes

12.  Joint Campus Area Committee (JCAC) report – Liaison - Doug Carlson

·      5-story parking ramp across from new campus recreational building (by Kohl Center)…will replace some existing surface parking.

·      Dayton St construction will cause closures over the summer

·      Field House/South Lawn proposal coming – entails fixing façade of Field House including replacing windows, additional green space, reduced parking, removing Nails Tails statue….summer of 2020. Stay tuned for neighborhood presentation.

13.  Monroe street reconstruction / Retail updates 

·      See New Business (above)

14.   Development update

·      HotelRED expansion – in the process of selecting a contractor

·      1630 Adams project currently in front of city attorney and city council to decide on potentially clearing site

·      Oakland on Monroe building (old Assoc. Bank bldg.) – Creando bilingual after school program has secured a 1700 sq ft space in building for after school and open gym activities.

15. Edgewood Liaison committee report – (Liaisons - Jon Standridge and Sarah Bahauddin) 

·      VNA has accepted an invitation from the Edgewood High School Board of Trustees to join, together with the Dudgeon-Monroe Neighborhood Association, a Collaborative Working Group (CWG) for the athletic complex.  The stated objective of the CWG is to “Jointly identify areas of concern and collaboratively craft solutions.”  The working group is planning to start next week and will be run by a 3rd party facilitator.

·      City meeting occurred last Friday with city zoning and planning to understand what EHS can/cannot do. Master Plan amendment not currently on city plan commission schedule.

·      Matt Tucker (city zoning) – his view of 2014 master plan is that the athletic field allows only PE and practices. If it is used for any other events, enforcement action could occur ($500-$1000 fine per unallowable use)….EHS can contest in court (“grandfathered use”).

·      Lighting has been approved by city (sound approval not required – just needs to stay within city ordinance). Checking to make sure lights are compliant with city code (falls under city zoning).

Other Business

16.  Vacancy – **Further discussion by the council has been postponed due to council absences**  Wes Spitznagle has resigned his seat on the VNA council due to work commitments.  Per Article 5, Section 8 of the VNA Bylaws, the Nominating Chair may present a replacement – with concurrence from at least 5 remaining VNA council reps - to hold the seat for a few months, through the end of Wes’ term this fall.  

Adjourn

Collaborative Working Group

Dear Vilas neighbors,

 The Vilas Neighborhood Association, together with the Dudgeon-Monroe Neighborhood Association, has accepted an invitation from the Edgewood High School Board of Trustees to join a new collaborative working group (CWG) process focused on Edgewood’s proposals for its athletic complex.  Per Edgewood’s invitation, the CWG is intended to last between 8-12 weeks, tentatively scheduled to start the week of March 25th.  The discussions will be led by an experienced facilitator.  The stated objective of the CWG is to “Jointly identify areas of concern and collaboratively craft solutions.”

 Typically, Edgewood has engaged the VNA through the standing Edgewood Liaison Committee.  VNA’s two reps to that committee this year are Jon Standridge and Sarah Bahauddin.  This working group appears to be sort of an adjunct of that committee, expanding the number of stakeholders around the table to tackle this particular issue.  As VNA President, I have also been invited to attend the meetings together with Jon and Sarah.  As this dialogue gets underway, and the structure, possibilities, and limitations of this process become clearer, Jon, Sarah, and I will look for ways to seek neighborhood thoughts and ideas to bring back to the working group.  

Here is the letter that VNA received from the Edgewood High School Board of Trustees.

Thanks,

Chris Kelly

VNA President

VNA Council Minutes - February 26, 2019

Meeting Minutes

2/26/19 VNA Council Meeting

Call to Order

Approval of Minutes 

·       Lea Jacobs proposed a change to last month’s meeting minutes and would like the following to be stated:

    • There has been dissatisfaction within the neighborhood about the way the Council handled the differences of opinion in the neighborhood on this issue. Some neighbors felt excluded by the Council's deliberation and vote on this issue. Some felt it was necessary to re-establish trust going forward as well as to find better ways of resolving differences of opinion on important issues.

    • There is concern that we have spent more time on this topic than other development topics that have affected other parts of our neighborhood and that we need to address going forward.

Announcements

·       The VNA meetings for 2019 will usually be held on the fourth Wednesday of each month.  The exceptions are: February (HotelRed conflict), March (MMSD spring break/HotelRed conflict), November (Thanksgiving), and December (Christmas). 

·       2019 Dates:  February 26th (Tues), March 19th (Tues), April 24th, May 22nd, June 26th, July 24th, August 28th, September 25th, and October 23rd, November 20th, and December 18th. 

·       Dates are posted on the web site in the “About Vilas” section.  All Vilas neighbors are welcome.

·       Thank you to HotelRED for giving us the space and hospitality to host our monthly meetings. Please support them when you can!

Communications:

·       A reminder that our neighborhood web site is at www.vilasneighborhood.com. 

·       New email address for the VNA – vnapresident@gmail.com.  

New Business

1.         Presentation from Laura (Xi) Wang and her attorney, Ron Trachtenberg, regarding her proposed restaurant/takeout business to be in the currently vacant building at 1403 Regent Street.  The business has applied for a Class A liquor license and the hearing at the ALRC is currently scheduled for March 20th.  

·       Prepared food grocery store (not a restaurant)

·       Hours: 9am-9pm daily

·       5 parking spaces, beer/wine available in cooler, liquor/tobacco products available behind counter

·       Questions/Concerns posed around liquor offerings, pedestrian traffic crossing Regent from apartments across the street, remodeling issues around her State St business (didn’t get approval from ALRC to do the remodel…states she wasn’t aware this was needed), traffic/parking

·       Confirmed no beer garden allowed on game days, etc

·       Alcohol sales will be limited to 10% of revenue

·       Liquor licenses are renewed yearly – and can be reviewed mid-year (if it were to become a problem)

VNA Council motioned to move forward in support of Laura Xi Wang’s proposal with a stipulation of no more than 10% alcohol revenue written into the license.

·       Council voted all in favor (7 council members present)

 

2.         President appointments for 2019

·       Lee Lazar - Nominating Chair

·       Sarah Bahauddin (replacing Doug Poland) and Jon Standridge - Representatives for Edgewood Liaison Committee 

·       Doug Carlson - Representative for Joint Campus Area Committee

·       Next elections will be in November (11/20/19)

Old Business

3.         Treasurer’s report – Pat Scheckel 

·       Update or recommendation on membership dues changes – Pat recommends no change this year as people have already paid. Suggests $10/individual and raising to $25/household starting in 2020 (has been $20/household for a long time).

·       $1,050 in account currently

4.         Social report - Lee Lazar 

·       Need a volunteer to host 2019 Badger game tailgate – contact Lee Lazar if interested (llazar@associated.cc)

·       Summer launch/block party – Saturday, June 15

·       Lee will ask Wes to move forward to get Jefferson blocked off

5.         VNA Directory – Block Captains 

·       Finalization of block captain roster – see https://www.vilasneighborhood.com/block-captains 

·       Go to the link above and find your block captain!

·       Neighborhood directory project – no update

6.         Status of Vilas Ink newsletter – Pat Scheckel

·       Update on transition of publishing for 2019

·       $585/Vilas Ink newsletter to be published (4x/year) – not sustainable. We currently owe for 2 newsletters.

·       Pat offered to take over the newsletter

·       Doug Carlson proposed someone else take this on since Pat is already Treasurer. *Responsibilities include gathering content, producing content, soliciting ads, layout, and publishing.

·       Proposed forming a newsletter committee. If you’d like to volunteer to help, please contact Pat (pschecke@yahoo.com).

7.         Web site status – Chris Kelly

·       Bios needed from council members:  Sarah, Ben, Lea, Craig, Wes

·       Working to repair link from City of Madison web site

·       Block captains now listed

·       VNA Bylaws now available

8.         Joint Area Campus Committee report - Doug Carlson

·       Meeting next week – will get update next month

o   South lawn of Field House (on agenda)

o   Parking lot for new natatorium (on agenda)

9.         Potential Neighborhood meeting with City Planning Department to present and discuss zoning codes, rules, and other topics pertinent to Vilas – Lea Jacobs

·       Lea proposed a committee of 3-6 people to monitor zoning issues for the following 3 areas: 1) Monroe St, 2) Regent St, 3) within neighborhood

·       There were a few concerns that this would lead to getting involved in too many details and suggested that we keep it at a macro level. Want to make sure it’s productive and useful.

·       Lea clarified that her intent would be that this committee’s purpose would be education and reporting back to the neighborhood.

·       Lea will create an outline for review with the details of this proposed committee.

10.       Edgewood Liaison committee report - Jon Standridge and Sarah Bahauddin 

·       Goodman Athletic Complex – EHS moving forward with permits for lights and sound in accordance to city ordinances (Master Plan amendment not required)

·       Some attendees would like the VNA Council to consider a re-vote given the change of events

·       There is no formal submission by EHS at this time to be voted on

11.       Monroe street reconstruction / Retail updates 

·       No update

12.       Development update.

·       1630 Adams St construction – Now on Plan Commission meeting agenda for March 11 if anyone wants to attend

·       No other development news

New Business

13.       Vacancy – Wes Spitznagle has resigned his seat on the VNA council due to work commitments. 

·       Per Article 5, Section 8 of the VNA Bylaws, the Nominating Chair may present a replacement – with concurrence from at least 5 remaining VNA council reps - to hold the seat for the remainder of Wes’s term ending this fall.

·       Thank you to Wes for his service on the VNA Council

·       Lea asked if we can defer this process and hold a true election at next month’s meeting for this position.

·       We need to follow the Bylaws as written….a Bylaw rewrite project can be taken on as a future project if desired

·       Some concern was expressed over the late notice of this VNA Council vacancy. Given 3 candidates have been submitted for this position, a motion was made to proceed with filling this position.

·       3 candidates:

o   Paul Cuta

o   Wendy Fearnside

o   Samip Kothari

·       No candidate received 5 votes so we will table this election at this time.

Adjourn

VNA Council Minutes - December 19, 2018

Minutes from 12/19/2018 meeting

Call to Order

Approval of Minutes

Announcements - January meeting date TBD

Old Business - none

  1. Elections: members up for election were Samip Kothari, Doug Carlson, Benjamin Biltz, and Pat Scheckel

    • Lee Lazar explained voting process

    • Lea Jacobs added her name to the ballot

    • Candidates spoke briefly

    • Handed out ballots to all attendees.....per the bylaws, everyone must vote for 4 candidates or vote does not count

    • Ballots were counted and 3 of 4 candidates were voted in: Pat Scheckel, Ben Biltz, and Sarah Bahauddin

    • Had to revote to fill 4th position (% of required votes was not met) and Lea Jacobs won by 1 vote

  2. Treasurer’s report – Pat Scheckel

    • $1794 in account after paying $1500  for the Holiday party at HotelRED 

    • Collected many dues at meeting as only paid members could vote in election; this will raise account balance

  3. Proposal for an ADU above garage on 815 Oakland Ave.

    • The property owner, Sam, was present. He wants to file for an ADU to create an apartment above his garage to be rented. Current plans are for his mom and/or sister to rent the property in the short-term.

    • This property was once a multi-rental and he has converted it to a single family home.

    • Property must be owner occupied with an ADU and he plans on living there

    • There was much discussion around this and while people were generally supportive of Sam’s intention, the following concerns were raised:

o   Concerns around increased rental properties in the neighborhood

o   Student vs owner occupied housing

o   There must be a single owner on any rental LLC

o   Any rentals must follow city and Air BnB rules (where applicable)

o   Do not want to set a precedent for short-term rentals in the neighborhood

o   ADU must be brought up to code and comply with all zoning regulations

4.     VNA Directory/Block Captains – no update

5.     Joint Campus Area Committee

o   The 222 N. Charter St proposal that was discussed 2 months ago was rejected by the Planning Commission.

o   The project didn’t meet setback or density requirements and the UW owns the surrounding property and likely intends to develop the area

6.     Edgewood Liaison Committee

o   Doug Poland recapped liaison committee responsibilities, EHS Master Plan history and current amendment proposal plans

o   Proposal goes in front of the Planning Commission on 1/14/19 and Common Council on 1/22/19

o   Question about whether or not track/field are open for public use? Yes – the track and field are open from 6am until dark for public use unless there is a scheduled event there.

New Business - none

VNA Council Minutes - November 28, 2018

Minutes for 11/28/2018 meeting

Call to Order

Approval of Minutes

Announcements - none

Old Business

  1. Treasurer’s report – Pat Scheckel

    • There is $2365 in the neighborhood account. We have the upcoming holiday party expense which is typically offset by dues collected that night.

  2. Holiday party

    • Sunday, 12/9 from 6:30-8:30pm at HotelRED

    • Appetizers will be served and HotelRED with provide complimentary non-alcoholic drinks. A cash bar will also be available.

    • Please bring $20 to pay your VNA dues. If you prefer to pay online, go to: https://www.paypal.me/VilasNA

  3. Elections for 2019- Lee Lazar

    • 2019 VNA board member elections will take place at our next meeting on 12/19/18.

    • There are currently 5 candidates running for 4 positions that are up for election - nominations are still being accepted (please submit to Lee Lazar: llazar@associated.cc)

    • A formal email and public posting at the Monroe St library will be coming

  4. VNA Directory/Block captains

    • We are still looking for some block captains. Look for a separate email with a visual map indicating where we still have needs.

  5. Joint Campus area committee

    • UW Field House/S. Lawn project proposal coming soon

    • The S. Charter St project was not recommended for approval

    • Hong Kong Cafe is seeking city approval to expand parking, storage, and a beer garden for Badger football Saturdays

  6. Edgewood Proposed field improvement discussion and vote 

    • Doug Poland from the Edgewood Liaison Committee recapped the history, timeline, and current phase of this proposal

    • The proposal is currently scheduled to be presented to the City Plan Commission on 1/14/19

    • Concerns around sound, light, traffic, environmental impact, and city enforcement were discussed at length

    • There were 23 people at the meeting outside of council members who requested a straw vote before the council vote. There were 3 people in favor of the proposal + 3 emails received by Doug Poland expressing support. There were 4 neutral votes and 17 votes against the proposal.

    • The VNA Council voted to support the proposal. 7 of the 8 council members were present and the vote was 5 yes, 2 neutral, and 0 against.

New Business

  • Next meeting will be 12/19 at 7pm at HotelRED

Adjourn

VNA Council Minutes - August 22

**Next meeting will be on September 26th at Hotel RED at 7pm**

Call to Order

Approval of Minutes

Announcements

Old Business 

  1. Treasurer’s report – Pat Scheckel
    • No update
  2. Edgewood Liaison Committee - Doug Poland
    • There are 3 pieces of construction currently in the works at EHS - the new Performing Arts Center which you can see taking place on the east side of the building; an elevator is being installed in the back of the building to get up to code; a new commons/main school entrance will be the next.
    • Proposed athletic complex - this expansion has resurfaced. Finding access to fields for the football team to play their home varsity football games is becoming more and more difficult and quite expensive. The school's agreement with Middleton has expired and no longer a good option. The team is playing on 4-5 different fields this year for home games.
    • The school announced their plans to move forward with an amendment to the master plan at a meeting on August 13th. This amendment includes installing lights and sound at the field.
    • Doug Poland is putting together a summary of the process EHS needs to follow to get this amendment approved and will be emailing that out to the list serve.
    • Mike Elliott, president of EHS, is planning on being at our next board meeting to present the plan and field questions. There will be another neighborhood meeting (date/time TBD) as part of the amendment process.
  3. Social report
    • The Badger football tailgate will take place on Friday, 8/31 for the game against W. Kentucky. It will take place in the Lazar's backyard - 1906 Vilas Ave - from 5:30-8:00pm.
    • Food and beverages will be served. Guests are welcome to bring something to share.
    • Flyers being distributed this week/weekend.
  4. Block Captains  
    • *****We are still looking for some Block Captains. Please refer to the map on the "Block Captains" page. The blocks that are highlighted still need a captain! If you would be willing to help out, please contact us! 
    • Responsibilities of a block captain include collecting dues, disseminating information, distributing flyers as needed, and creating a greater sense of community. Please contact the board if you are interested in representing your block!

       5. Joint Campus Area Committee - no update
       6. Monroe street construction - no update

New Business

  • The VNA Board election process will need to begin next month for 2019.

Adjourn

VNA Council Minutes - June Meeting

**Next meeting will be on July 25th at Hotel RED at 7pm**

Term Ending - fall 2018   

    Dr. Samip Kothari - President

    Pat Scheckel - Treasurer (absent)

    Doug Carlson

    Ben Blitz

Term Ending - fall 2019

    Chris Kelly (absent)

    Westley Spitznagle (absent)

    Craig Stanley

    Karie Krantz - Secretary

Call to Order

Approval of Minutes

Announcements

Old Business 

  1. Treasurer’s report – Pat Scheckel
    • No update (Pat was not present)
  2. 815 Oakland
    • No update (owner was not present)
  3. Vilas Survey
    • Please take a few minutes to fill out the neighborhood survey if you have not done so already. We would like one survey per household: https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4331489/Vilas-2018. Hard copies can also be found at the library (mailing/drop-off instructions are on the survey).
    • We are gathering data to create a baseline for future use....trying to understand VNA trends, opinions, geographical zoning differences, etc.
  4. Social report - Plans for fourth of July and football tailgate
    • 4th of July bike parade will take place at 11am on the 4th....Please meet at the corner of Harrison/Adams all decked out in your red, white and blue!! A fire truck escort has been requested but there are no guarantees.
    • The Badger football tailgate will take place on Friday, 8/31 for the game against W. Kentucky. It is an 8pm game so we will have an early evening tailgate. Stay tuned for the location.
    • Possible World Cup Finals viewing party in the works at Hotel RED....stay tuned.
  5. VNA Directory – no update
  6. Block Captains – no update
  7. Joint West and Joint Southeast Campus – this is now called the Joint Campus Area Committee.  No update.
  8. Edgewood Liaison committee – (Liaisons - Jon Standridge and Doug Poland)
    • Stadium plan - nothing moving forward at this time
    • Performing Arts Center construction has begun on the east side of the building. We may see some overflow parking from construction workers as project progresses and once school is back in session.
  9. Monroe street construction
    • There has been some concern over pedestrian safety and equipment operators (not always a spotter present, for example). Please contact James Wolf (Speedway) and Alder Eskrich with any concerns.
  10. Development update.
  • There is a Freshii opening in the new Associated Bank building in August

New Business

    • Please remember to check the NEW Vilas Neighborhood website for neighborhood information (and please spread the word): Home

 

Home

 

 

 

  • If you or a neighbor is having trouble finding or joining the VNA ListServ, please do the following:
    • Go to yahoogroups..com
    • Search "Vilas Neighborhood"
    • Click on "VilasNA"
    • Click "Join Group"

Adjourn

VNA Council Minutes - May Meeting

Wednesday May 23, 2018

7:00 PM - HotelRED

***NEXT MEETING WILL BE WEDNESDAY, 6/27 @ 7PM***

Council Members

Term Ending - fall 2018   

    Dr. Samip Kothari - President (absent)

    Pat Scheckel - Treasurer

    Doug Carlson (absent)

    Ben Blitz (absent)

Term Ending - fall 2019

    Chris Kelly

    Westley Spitznagle (absent)

    Craig Stanley

    Karie Krantz - Secretary

Agenda

Call to Order

Approval of Minutes   

Announcements

  • We are very excited to announce that the Vilas neighborhood website is up!!!! This is a basic website for informational purposes that we will continue to update. You can find upcoming meeting dates and meeting minutes there moving forward. A big thanks to Chris Kelly for all of his hard work in putting this together. We welcome any constructive feedback. Please visit at Home.  

Home

Old Business

    1. Treasurer's Report - Pat Scheckel

  • There is $1500 in the account. There has been a steady stream of dues coming in since the newsletter went out.

    2. Property at 815 Oakland St

  • There has been no formal submittal or any new updates on this property.

    3. Vilas Survey

  • The survey is forthcoming; Doug - please proceed with getting this out.

    4. Social Report

  • Block Party will be June 9th on the 1900 block of Jefferson
  • Details are coming together but volunteers are needed if you'd like to help. We are specifically looking for people to donate the use of their grills, tables, & coolers. Please remember to bring a dish to pass.

    5. VNA Directory - will follow once block captains have been secured.

    6. Block Captains - working on a flyer and website signup

  • Looking for volunteers - basic responsibilities will include collecting resident info for the VNA directory, collecting/reminding about dues, and occasional flyer distribution

    7. Joint West and Joint Southeast Campus - no update

    8. Edgewood Liaison Committee - no update

    9. Monroe St Construction

  • Encouraging neighborhood to support all Monroe St businesses
  • The Farmer's Market at EHS is open every Sunday...please support!

    10. Development Update

  • Associated Bank demolition has begun

New Business

  • Website is up!!